Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day 3 Reflection

The morning , I had the privilege to meet Mr Lak Yau Hui,Senior Head PDC and the person in charge of the attachment as well as the AD, Siew Lian. Shortly after, I had a short dialogue with Mr Lak on a range of topics which include the cyberwellness programme in school, HQ culture as well as staff training and upgrading, particularly how ETOs keep abreast of their knowledge base in order to serve schools effectively. In a way, this dialogue session brought back fond memories of the things that I used to do when I myself was still an HQ Officer not long ago.

The morning's programme also include a briefing by Audrea ,who ran me through the Baseline ICT Standards Online Assessment system. I also had an opportunity to try out the system and to give input to the list of questions to be incorporated into it. I feel that the questions are well set as they are tasked based which mirrors very closely what pupils would do in their day to day use of technology. Moreover, another plus point of this system is that it provides instant feedback on whether the pupils have performed a task correctly or incorrectly. At the planning level, this system can also be used as a proxy indicator of whether a school's ICT baseline standard training programme is adequate in addressing the equipping of our pupils.


In the afternoon, Ghee Han walked me through lesson designs by incorporating ICT,SDL & CoL into Maths lessons. Reading from the ICT connection about SDL and CoL was one thing but nothing was more valuable than getting hands-on practice on designing such lessons. That 2 hours with Ghee Han really opened up my eyes to see lesson design with a new perspective.